Which Facial Filler is For You?
Dr. Bruce Katz, Clinical Professor of Dermatology at The Mount Sinai School of Medicine and Director of the Juva Skin & Laser Center in New York, helps navigate through the best choices for facial fillers.
“While the facial aging process varies from person to person, the main causes are changes in bone density, loss or displacement of fat and the break down of collagen and elastin,” says Dr. Katz. “Fat, collagen and elastin loss can be remedied by minimally invasive injectable procedures.”
When treating volume loss such as cheek hollows and sagging skin around the mouth, I recommend using stimulatory fillers such as Voluma, Radiesse or Sculptra, versus wrinkle fillers such as Restylane or Juvaderm. “Stimulatory fillers” are injected deeper beneath the skin, will generate more volume and will stimulate the skin to produce more collagen. Hyaluronic acid gels like Belotero, Restylane or Juvederm are used as “wrinkle fillers” because they are injected more superficially – in the skin rather than beneath it.
Here is what you “need to know” for each
· First facial volumizer designed and FDA approved to restore age-related volume loss to the mid-face region (cheeks, cheekbones and around the chin)
· Combines collagen and elastin to improve skin structure and elasticity
· One treatment is proven to last up to 2 years
· Made with poly-L-lactic acid — a stimulant that progressively restores collagen lost from aging
· Due to the rate at which new collagen grows, results from Sculptra occur over an extended period of time
· Typically a patient needs an average of 2-3 injection sessions over the course of a few months. Results can last more than two years.
· Adds the volume and lift needed to diminish the signs of aging by stimulating natural collagen to grow
· Results are clinically proven to last a year or more in many patients
· HA dermal filler made of the same volumizing and moisturizing components as your skin
· Dr. Katz particularly recommends using it to treat very fine lines because of its precision – Belotero is specifically designed to integrate into your tissue to provide subtle, even results without disturbing the natural contours of the face thus achieving the desired natural-face look.
· A smooth gel filler that acts to smooth away wrinkles around your mouth and nose
· Manufactured using HYLACROSS™ technology, creating a smooth-consistency gel
· It is infused with lidocaine to improve comfort during treatment